I found this over @ Shariq Ghani’s site today, good stuff, I think its applicable to more than just activism, here’s a summary:
No matter how noble your cause there will always be a group of people who will vehemently stand against you for no particular reason.
1. They will put up a wall because you accomplished what they were not able to.
2. They will always say you don’t consult enough or you’re not organized.
3. No one will care until they see results.
4. Remove yourself from people who say you can’t.
5. You are your biggest enemy.
Check out the full article here.